Sunday, April 10, 2016

52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 15: Artistic - Metal


I am still behind on the 52 week challenge, however, I have decided to just pick up with the current week and continue on from there. Eventually, I will go back to the weeks I missed. This week’s challenge was an artistic metal shoot.  Initially, I wanted to do something rusty and falling apart, like you would find in a junk yard.  However, I do not know of any good junk yards, so I started looking around the apartment and settled on the vintage typewriter from the 1950’s.  I focused on the metal type hammers.  

To set up for this shoot was simple. I set the typewriter up on a white piece of mat board, and used a single flash mounted on a light stand with a boom arm so I could position it directly above the type hammers or angled to the of the type hammers.  On my camera, I used a radio trigger to trigger the flash and 60mm macro lens to focus on the hammers.  The camera settings were ISO 400 with an F22 aperture, a 1/250s shutter, and a flash power of 1/32.

The first photo shown is the original. The flash was positioned to the side of the typewriter hammers and set at 1/32 power.  The photo looks good out of camera; however, I tweaked it by cropping the photo to make it long and narrow. I then adjusted the white balance using auto in light room, then adjusted the exposure,  up the clarity to 32, used a strong contrast, and increased the sharpness to 70 and the luminance to 20. I also adjusted for lens aberration.  Finally, I converted the whole thing to black and white using one of my several presets.  This makes for a more dramatic final image.

Original
Final Image

The second image I only did minimal editing.  The settings for this photo were the same as for the previous photo.  The main difference is I changed my viewing angle to the type hammers.  For this image adjusted the white balance using auto in light room, then adjusted the exposure,  up the clarity to 32, used a strong contrast, and increased the sharpness to 70 and the luminance to 20. I also adjusted for lens aberration.  I then applied the HDR preset to the image, to produce the final image. 

Original

Final Image

Overall, I am very happy with how these images turned out.  I like the darkness of the images, because makes you focus on the letters on the hammers, also the images have a bit of an abstract look. You can see all the final images here

No comments:

Post a Comment