On July 25th, I attended the Costume & Camera event at Burnside Farms in Nokesville, VA. This event was in conjunction with Burnside Farms sunflower festival they have, so we were shooting in their sunflower and flower fields.
For this event I used:
- Canon R6
- 24 - 105mm lens
- Cannon speed light
Camera Settings:
This shoot started at 4:30
PM and went to about 7:30 PM not the harshest sun of the day but not sunset
either. The sky had some clouds as there
was the potential for storms to roll through later in the evening. However, the biggest challenge for this event
was I couldn’t use a light stand, and I didn’t have my voice activated light
stand (i.e. assistant/husband) to hold the flash for fill. So, I was shooting with the camera in one hand
and the flash in the other to provide fill light.
For this shoot I mostly
used ISO 100 but did take a few images at ISO 200. My aperture ranged from F4.5 to F13 with the
most common aperture being F5.6 followed by F9.
My shutter speed ranged from 1/40s to 1/640s with the most common being 1/250s. My focal lengths ranged from 24mm to 105mm
with the most common being 24mm and 40mm.
The Photos:
My favorite image from
the event is this one of Phoquess
in their 1890’s Umbreon cosplay. I like this photo because of how the black
dress with yellow accents stands out against the sunflower field. While the umbrella was not part of the
cosplay, but what the farm handed out to people to provide shade in the field, I
feel it pulled the whole image together. This image to me screams goth stuck
going out in the sun to appease their normie friends. I also like it because it is a back shot and has
an air of mystery to it because you can’t see the cosplayer’s face. In post-production I adjusted the exposure
slightly, brought up the vibrance to make the colors pop, but the real secret
is that I added a yellow (highlight) / purple (shadow) color grade that harmonized
the image. Then, as with most of my images, I added a heavy vignette.
![]() |
| ISO 100, Aperture F5.6, Shutter 1/640s, Focal Length 24mm, No Flash |
This next image is of Gloria
of In the Long Run
Designs in her 1780s era dress. I like this image, even though it doesn’t
have sunflowers but just wild flowers in the background, because it looks
rustic. The swing with the field of
flowers behind it just gives the image the feel of a wide open prairie. I did hand
hold a flash for this image to help fill the shadows, as the sun was behind the
model. In post I adjusted the exposure
slightly, kicked up the vibrancy, and added a yellow (highlight) / purple
(shadow) color grade to the image. I
also applied a circular gradient to the model’s face to brighten it
slightly. I also removed all the people
and flags in the distant background using the remove tool. I then finalized the image by adding a strong
vignette.
![]() |
| ISO 100, Aperture F9, Shutter 1/250s, Focal Length 24mm, Flash Fired |
This next image is of Coralinx_cosplay in her Kiki
cosplay from “Kiki’s Delivery Service”. What
was nice about working with Coralinx, besides her being an awesome person to
work with, is she had her handler/fiancé with her who was able to help me by
holding my flash. He took direction well.
What I like about this image is that it is an action shot, so it looks
like she is lifting off on her broom. It
did take a couple of shots, because her hair kept covering her face, but we got
one. For editing I adjusted the exposure
slightly and added several gradients.
The first gradient I added was to the sky to decrease the brightness and
bring back the blue. I then added linear gradient to the ground to balance the foreground
with the sky. The final gradient was a circular gradient I added to the model’s
face to brighten it slightly. I then
added an orange (highlight) / yellow (shadow) color grade to the image to give
it a warm glow. I then finished the
image off with a light vignette.
![]() |
| ISO 100, Aperture F13, Shutter 1/200s, Focal Length 24mm, Flash Fired |
This final image, of Chaosbria as Petra from Fire Emblem was the last shots I took at the event as I was getting tired and hot. I like this image because it gives the feel of grandeur and a warrior vibe, while maintaining a rather relaxed pose. For this image I adjusted the exposure slightly and brightened up the vibrancy. I also used three different gradients, the first was a sky gradient to darken it and bring the blue back. The second was gradient that covered the whole model to ensure she was the same brightness as the foreground and the sky. The final gradient was a circular gradient on the model’s face to make that pop just a little more. I also added a yellow (highlight) / purple (shadow) color grade to the image to harmonize it and warm it just slightly. I then finished the image with a medium vignette.
![]() |
| ISO 100, Aperture F4.5, Shutter 1/200s, Focal Length 42mm, Flash Fired |
Wrap Up:
This was a good event,
but I do wish I had my assistant with me, as it would have made it easier to
manage the flash. I will say by the end
of the shoot both my arms were tired as one was holding the camera and the
other aiming the flash. No, I didn’t have the flash on the camera, I was actually
hand holding it out to the side so I could point it in the direction I
wanted. It is a little harder but makes
for a better picture.
I was also pleasantly surprised
that I didn’t have to do a whole lot of people removal in post or work around a
lot of people in the fields, considering this was part of the farm’s festival
and they were hosting a concert that night. While yes there were a bunch of
people most were towards the other end of the farm where the concert and food
trucks were.




Comments
Post a Comment