Skip to main content

Old Time Photographer

 On November 8th, I did an on-location session with SunnyRae at Claude Moore Park.  The theme for this shoot was 1920’s photographer, which came about during SunnyRae’s 31 days of closet Halloween costumes during October.  I saw the outfit and had to photograph it, complete with the early 1900’s era camera.  

For these sessions, I used:

Photography Equipment

Other Equipment

Cannon R6

24-105 mm Lens

Transmitter/Trigger

1 Cannon Speed lights

1 30-inch umbrella

Light stand

Assistant

The setup

The setup was relatively easy.  I mounted a Canon speed light on a light stand with an umbrella.  My assistant then held the light in the spots during the shoot. Because the camera shown in the pictures was an antique and rather heavy, we only shot in two location, with me relying on angles, expressions, and props to fully use each of the two spots we choose in the park.

Camera Settings

This session was held outdoors in bright morning sun which was perfect for this type of shoot. My goal was mostly to fill in harsh shadows with the flash.  I used ISO 100, which is great for sunny conditions.  Depending on the type of shot my aperture ranged from F4 for nice bokeh for portrait type looks to F8 and F9 for more editorial and storytelling images.   My shutter speed ranged from 1/125s to 1/250s, with the most common being 1/250s which allowed me to balance ambient light with the flash.  Finally, my focal length ranged from 24mm to 105mm. This is one time I should of got my lens adaptor out to use my 200mm lens for a long shot across the pond.  Sadly, I thought about that after I was on site and shooting.

The Photos

The theme for this shoot was 1920’s photographer, so I developed a mood board based on portraits of famous photographers from the 1920 such as Ansel Adams, Dorothea Lange, and Paul Strand.  I wanted to capture both the model and the antique camera, so did a mix of portrait and storytelling images as well as a few close ups.  To add to the vintage feel, during the editing process I leaned into black & white and cross process images that have a more brown/yellow undertone.  I also added some grain to a few of the images to help make them feel less modern.

This first image is one of my favorites from the session, and I think it really captures the mood and vibe we were going for during the shoot. 

ISO 100, Aperture F9, Shutter 1/250s, Focal Length 29mm

This next image shows what I mean by close up, which in all honesty isn’t that close but just a tighter shot.  It shows the detail of the camera and detail of the lens attachment, while telling a mini story. 

ISO 100, Aperture F10, Shutter 1/250s, Focal Length 25mm

While this final image captures the side of early landscape photography, the sitting and taking notes and soaking in the surroundings. 

ISO 100, Aperture F10, Shutter 1/250s, Focal Length 30mm

Wrap Up

It is always fun to work with SunnyRae, as she has the best personality and can easily create a story for the character which makes the session much more fluid, leading to more natural posing.  I felt this session was very collaborative, allowing both of us to play off each other’s ideas resulting in a ton of frames, even though we only shot in two locations in the park.  

Credits:

Model: Sunnyrea (IG: Sunnyrea37)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...