Skip to main content

Day 5 - Trip Wrap Up

We are back from our short trip down to the Florida Keys.  It was a nice little relaxing trip and different from our normal two-week vacations.  This trip was not meticulously planned and was just thrown together a week before the trip, with a very loose list of activities and lounge time.  Unlike our normal vacations, which are planned months in advance and involve detailed itineraries, none of this lounging around stuff.  

The flight back was ok.  But the Miami airport sucks, because of the super long walk from the rental car place to the check-in desk because they are doing construction in the airport.  Also, the waiting areas are super tiny, but that didn’t faze us too much since we hung out in the Delta Sky Club till boarding.   I was unhappy that we arrived at our destination, but our bags did not.  They were put on an earlier flight, but due to weather in DC got delayed by four hours so they arrived at Dulles after us.   We should of just went back to the airport to get the bags, because it took them till almost 11:00 PM to deliver them when they arrived at the airport at 9:00 PM.  I could have had them home by 9:30 PM, if I went and got them.  Really the only major frustration of the trip.

Overall, I would like to do the trip again, but I would like to do it with some friends.  The resort we stayed at has private beach houses, and I think it would be nice to share one with a couple of friends for the week.  Also, sharing a cabana with friends would be nice.  I also would like to see more of the State Parks on Key Largo, they looked nice, but we didn’t go to them except for the snorkeling trip.   

This wasn’t really a photo vacation, so the photos are more snap shots than great landscapes.  But if you want to see some pictures from our trip, you can find them here: Florida Keys. (Galleries are under the map.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...