Skip to main content

Day 0 - Travel to the Keys

This year we are only doing a short vacation down to Florida Key, because there is a lot of uncertainty in Washington.   Thus, we left DC at 6:00 AM on a flight to Miami via Atlanta.  After a slightly bumpy flights we arrived in Miami around 10:30AM and delt with the confusion of the Miami airport.  We had to then navigate a very unclear indirect route to the rental car location; the signage was horrible in the airport.   After picking up our Mustang Convertible (why wouldn’t you drive a convertible in the Keys) we were on our way.

First stop was a grocery store and lunch.  We ate at Senor De La Taco.  They had very good tacos.  Then we stopped at Publix to grab some water and snacks. Since it was still relatively early and we couldn’t check into the resort before 4:00PM we headed to Everglades National Park.

We drove out to Everglades National Park and stopped at the visitor center to get a few recommendations on short hikes and pick up magnets for the fridge.  We asked about the hike to the Nike Missile site, but it was “closed for the season”.   So, we did a short 1/3-mile Anhinga boardwalk hike.  Amazingly enough I saw wildlife, usually I don’t see any wildlife beyond the stand squirrel or chipmunk.  We saw several types of birds, giant grasshoppers, and several alligators.   After the hike we started on our way down to keys, with a quick stop at Roberts roadside stand to get Key Lime milkshakes. 




We got to the resort a little after 4:00PM and it was busy due to a wedding taking place and a lot of late check outs.  I went to check in and our room wasn’t ready.  We killed a little bit of time by running over to the gas station but came back and the room still wasn’t ready.  They did give us our welcome drinks, I had champagne, and Jim had the pineapple mojito.  Then we sat in the lobby for a while then went down to the hotel restaurant for dinner.  Right after we ordered they called me to let me know the room was ready at 5:38PM.  So, I ran up to the check in desk to get our keys and room information before finishing dinner.  Since having to wait an hour and a half for a room is unacceptable, the hotel gave us $100 resort credit.   I don’t think they would have given me the resort credit if I didn’t complain and site, I was a platinum member.   Sadly, they couldn’t give us a room upgrade.  We got to our room a little before 6:30PM. 

It was a long day. I also started to pack up my bag for the snorkel trip I thought I had scheduled for the next day. But I had it scheduled for the following Monday, not good.  I scrambled and rebooked for Tuesday as Monday was supposed to be rainy with thunderstorms all day.  So, the problem was solved. 

Not sure what we are doing tomorrow as it is supposed to rain all morning. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...