Skip to main content

Day 5 – Last Day in San Diego

For our last day in San Diego we went to Balbo Park and did a tour of the USS Midway before our red-eye flight back to DC.  It was a bit of a slow day, because I got too much sun the day before at the zoo, and just was not feeling 100-percent. 

We got up around 7:00AM and had breakfast around 8:00AM and then finished packing things up.  I checked Mom out of her room and moved everything into my room since I got a 4:00PM late checkout for my room.  Being a Platinum Plus member does have its perks.  We then headed up to Balbo Park and walked around there for a bit and saw the Japanese Gardens and the rose gardens.  I really liked the Japanese Garden and would love to do a photoshoot there one day.  


After spending time at the park we headed back to the hotel to drop a few things off and then headed over to the USS Midway.   After touring the Midway we walked over to see the “Unconditional Surrender” statue.  From there, we had a late lunch at Beach Hut Deli, then chilled at the hotel until it was time to head to the airport.

Like I said, not a very busy day.  I didn’t want to pack to much into the day because I worry about traffic and making it to the airport on time.   This is why I hate flights late in the day.  I would rather leave early in the morning; it is a lot less stressful. 

The flight home was rather smooth except for about 30 minutes of turbulence due to a storm system.   Sadly, I didn’t get any sleep on the flight, even though I tried.  I just never nodded off.

Overall it was a good trip, I would have liked it to be a bit longer I never feel a week is long enough. I would like to go back to Palm Springs and Joshua Tree in the fall or winter when it is cooler because I feel there probably are a lot more picture opportunities.  However, it is hard to walk around outside and take pictures when the temperature is over 100F and you just need more then a day and half in San Diego.  Next time I’m getting the explorer pass to cover all the museums. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...