Skip to main content

Formal Portrait

On February 11, I did a traditional portrait session for Yancy. In this session I focused on getting him nice headshots for professional sites, as well as some nice portraits that showcase his style.

For this session, I used:

Photography Equipment

Props/Miscellaneous

Cannon R6

24-105 mm Lens

Transmitter/Trigger

2 Phottix strobes

2 c-stands

1 Backdrop stand

1 grey seamless

1 canvas backdrop

Sandbags

2 rectangular soft boxes

Eye-light reflector

Chair

Stool

End table

Decanter

Rocks Glass

The set up

For this session I shot two basic sets up, one for a headshot and one for traditional full body portraits. The reason I did two set ups was because the client needed two types of photos, headshots for professional websites and then more traditional photos for personal use. Now while the sets of are fairly similar, how they are applied is not.

For the traditional headshot lighting, I used two strobes with grided rectangular soft boxes and an eye-light reflector. The two strobes were positioned across from each other at 45-degree angles and the tilted towards each other the form the edges of a triangle. I then placed the reflector between the strobes to form the bottom of the triangle and angled it towards the subject. My client then stood in front of the reflector in the center of the triangle. It was a very simple set up, and the one shown below.

Set Up

For the more traditional portraits I used the same basic strobe set up but removed the reflector. I also brought in set pieces, to include a leather chair, side table, decanter, and rocks glass. I wanted to lean into the 1950’s Rat Pack look while also taking cues from modern stars such as Billy Porter, Denzel Washington, and Samuel L. Jackson. I went in this direction because, the client’s suit collection as well as his overall style and personality. For the more traditional portraits I moved the lights back and used the left light as the main light and the right light as the fill light. I placed the left light a bit past 45-degrees, raised it up higher while increasing the downward angle of the light. The right light I move to fill the shadows and level out. This was my starting point for the standard portraits, and I moved lights as the session progressed.

Camera Settings

For this session, I used ISO 100 & 125, with an aperture of F4 and F4.5 and a shutter speed of 1/200s. My focal length ranged from 25mm to 105mm, with my most common focal length being 35mm.

The Photos

We did three outfit changes for this session, so he could have a variety of looks, but we spent the most time with a standard suit look. Let’s start with this headshot.

This is a very standard headshot pose, that is warm and personable. I also feel it was a good way for him to warm up and relax in front of the camera. As the session progressed I could him relax and get more into the process. As I tell all my clients the first 10 shots are going to be throwaway shots. The first 10 shots are the let’s get comfortable and learn to relax in front of the camera shots.

From a happy headshot, we go to a more serious look. This is where I added in the props to give the model something to interact with. To get the look I also provided prompts to help get the look, by saying things like “lean forwards slightly, and think like you are about to give some advice.”  I also showed him example photos to show where I was taking the photo. In this photo the left light is the main light and the right light as fill. In the post I did basic edits, removed obvious blemishes, evened out the skin tones, and added a vignette.

These first two photos were in total contrast to the last look of the session which was more casual. In this image I got rid of the leather chair and table, and when with a standard stool to go over a more casual vibe. For this image, the main light was to my right with the left light providing the fill. The right light was about 15 degrees off my right while the left was closer to 45 degrees. In the post I did basic edits, reduced hot spots on the jacket, removed obvious blemishes, evened skin tone, and added a vignette to the final image.

Overall, this was a very productive session that allowed me to provide the client with images that can be used both in a professional and casual settings. I do my best to put the client at ease during my sessions, especially in cases where they are not models and aren’t always fond of being in front of the camera.  I know I did a good job when the client tells me that had fun and felt relaxed in front of the camera. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...