Day 9 - Well, I'm a standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona

Well, I'm a standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
And such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford
Slowin' down to take a look at me
--Eagles


Meteor Crater

Today we left Flagstaff, Arizona to head towards Albuquerque, New Mexico, which was only going to be about a 4.5 hour drive not including the time change so we made a few stops.


The first stop was at the Arizona visitor center, which was still closed so I did not get my map. The second stop was at the New Mexico visitor center which was also closed, so I did not get my New Mexico map either.  I’m very disappointed in both the Arizona and New Mexico tourist information committees, they are not very welcoming.  How is someone doing a cross country drive, with cell coverage that still drops out in places, supposed to navigate without a map.  I don’t feel the states are very welcoming.  


The next stop was at Meteor Crater.  The site has a very small museum and of course a gift shop.  The creator is a very large hole in the ground that you can walk part way around.  They also have viewing platforms set up so you can see the remains of drilling machines that they placed in the center of the crater for research.  The site was also used by NASA to help train the astronauts for their moon missions.  The site was a nice diversion, but not worth the 25-dollar per person entry fee. I would be ok with the fee if it was per car load.  The observatory from yesterday was better. 


The meteor crater. 

You can see the 6-foot tall astronut at the bottom of the crater. 

The final stop was in Winslow, Arizona, so I could stand on a corner, but not just any corner, a very specific corner.  We drove to the “Standing on a Corner Historic Site” which has a building facade, a flatbed ford, and a large Route 66 emblem painted on the road.  I’m not happy with the picture because well, people.  A gaggle of people is hard to photoshop out. I also needed to be taller to get a better picture of the emblem painted on the road, but that is a short person problem.  After that it was on to Albuquerque.  


The corner in Winslow, AZ


Tomorrow we head out to Oklahoma City.


roadside sign


Comments

Popular Posts