Skip to main content

Day 6 - Rim Trail to Hermits Rest

The canyon village from along the rim trail 

Today we got up around 5:30 AM and were hoping to get breakfast from the lodge around 6:00 AM, but they don’t start serving breakfast till 6:30 AM.  This seems a little silly considering the buses start running as early as 5:00 AM and they recommend you be out on the trails early so you can finish up your first hike around 10:00 AM to avoid the heat and sun of the day.  We waited for them to start serving breakfast, we both had breakfast burritos which weren’t very warm or very good, this put us heading to the trails at around 7:00 AM.  We walked the rim trail from the Bright Angel trailhead to Hopi Point, which is all paved.  We took the bus from there to Monument Creek vista and walked to Pima Point, then took the bus the rest of the way to Hermit’s Rest.  All told we walked about 5-miles. 

Hikers on the Bright Angel trail clearing the first tunnel, they have hike a mile in at this point. 

You can see the mule riders on the Bright Angel Trail not even 1/2 way down yet.



It is a lizard on the edge. 

We had lunch at Hermit’s Rest before taking the bus all the way back to our starting point at Bright Angel trail head, and walked the rest of the way to our hotel.  Once there we relaxed a bit before hopping on a different bus to go to the General Store in Grand Canyon Village to pick up soap to wash our lunch utensils and some Gatorade. 


This was us taking it easy today.  We have determined that they are right, you should be done hiking by 10:00 AM,  we stopped at 11:00 AM at Hermits Rest to eat lunch.  It just gets too bright out to comfortably walk/hike long distances.   While hiking both Jim and I are wearing sunscreen, hats, and sun shirts to block the UV rays. Our hiking packs do have water bladders in them and we basically drank all the water in them during our hike today.  

Tomorrow we are going to attempt to do some astrophotography and get some sunrise photos.  This means we will have to be up around 2:00 AM, so an early bedtime tonight.

That bit of blue in the photo is the river at the bottom of the canyon. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...