Skip to main content

Day 5 - The Mule Ride

Today we got up at 5:00 AM to get ready for our mule ride along the rim.  We got to the pick-up point at 6:45 AM like the person who checked us in yesterday informed us.  However, when we got there we were informed by one of the stable hands that we didn't need to be there till 7:45 AM since the bus leaves from the pick-up point at 8:00 AM.  This actually makes a lot more sense, so we walked up to Bright Angel Lodge, and walked along the rim trail a little bit before heading back to the pick-up point.   We boarded the bus at 8:00 AM and headed to the historic mule barn.

Once we arrived at the mule barn they gave us the safety and instructional brief, divided us into two groups of seven, and then we got on the mules.   We were in the second group.   I got to ride the mule named Miss Sharp and Jim got to ride the mule named Sheldon. It was a two hour out and back ride along part of the canyon rim.  We did not go down into the canyon.  We stopped at a few mule pull offs to look at the view and for the guide to give us some information about the canyon and its wildlife. Overall it was a good experience, and I don’t need to do the overnight ride down into the canyon. That ride is five hours down, stay overnight at the bottom of the canyon, then five hours back up. That is a lot of time to be on mule back if you aren’t a comfortable rider.   After the ride we boarded the bus and it took us back to the Bright Angel Lodge, where Jim and I had lunch. 

After lunch we went back to our room, and grabbed our packs including hydration bladders (i.e. Camelbaks) and headed over to the official visitor center.  We rode the bus over, because that is the easiest way to get around the park.  After visiting the visitor center and talking to the ranger about suitable trails, we walked over to Mather Point. Mather Point is the viewpoint just behind the visitor center and is one of the common views of the Grand Canyon.  From there we walked along the paved trail for .75-miles stopping at random viewpoints ending at the geological center.  From there we boarded the orange line bus back to the visitor center to pick up the blue line bus back to our hotel.   We got back to our lodge around 2:45 PM.   We cut the day a little short because the sun is strong here and I was starting to get a slight headache. I need to be careful in the sun due to a past bout of sun poisoning.  We will probably walk over to the Bright Angel Lodge a little later to see the sun set.  I’m trying to work out the best way to see the night sky as this is a dark skies park. 


Tomorrow some simple hikes to get used to the altitude, dryness, and sun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...