Skip to main content

Day 2 - Oklahoma Bound

We got a better night’s sleep last night in Jackson, TN, but hopes for a good night’s sleep are looking slim due to the redneck pool party four floors below us.  The whole hotel is fully booked, with some kind of group that, trust me, pings every redneck stereo type identified by Jeff Foxworthy.


Today we got up at 5:00AM again, and were on the road around 6:00AM after stopping at Jack’s for breakfast.  I got a sausage biscuit and Jim got the county fried steak biscuit. He wasn’t impressed by the steak.  The drive through Memphis was uneventful.  We do think Arkansas is trying to secretly annex land because their welcome sign was placed on the  bridge over the Mississippi River before we crossed the actual state line. We saw this again when we crossed from Oklahoma back into Arkansas, I’ll get to that in a moment.  We stopped at the welcome center to pick up a map and use the restroom. Good thing we did because Arkansas does not appear to believe in regularly spaced rest areas with restrooms, a lot of semi-truck pull offs though.  We basically made it through Little Rock, and to the Arkansas/Oklahoma border by noon where we made a few stops.  The first stop was for lunch at Smokey B’s BBQ, which is a food truck parked in a small park next to a gas station.  The pulled pork sandwich I had was good and Jim thought his brisket sandwich was pretty good.  I also had a smoked macadamia nut cookie, which you could really taste the smoke in and was the right level of smokey and sweet.  From there we went to Fort Smith National Historic Site which straddles the Arkansas/Oklahoma line.  We noted that Arkansas had their welcome sign in well before the actual state line, thus the theory they are trying to covertly annex land. 


Fort Smith was a nice little side trip, and I pulled out the real camera for that one. We walked the grounds, saw the foundation of the old fort and I got my National Park stamp. This is the first stamp I have gotten in the Southwest Region. I highly recommend if you like to visit national parks to pick up a National Parks Passport book, it is a great way to track what parks and national sites you have visited.  After Fort Smith it was on to Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain.  Specifically on to Oklahoma City.  


We checked into our hotel around 4:00PM and that was when we found out the whole hotel was booked.  We ate at a Cracker Barrel. Did you know Cracker Barrel now has a selection of wine and beer on their menu? Tomorrow it is on to Amarillo which we will not make by morning, more like noon, then ending the day in Albuquerque.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...