Skip to main content

Graffiti Warehouse Meet Up

On April 16th, I made a drive up to Baltimore, MD for the Graffiti Warehouse shoot hosted by D.C. Cosplay Photoshoot group.   The Graffiti Warehouse, as its name implies, is an old warehouse covered with graffiti both on the outside and inside and is used as a creative space for artist.  We had use of the large first floor studio, the smaller third floor studio, as well as the stairwells and hallways.  The warehouse has furniture scattered about that can be used, which I took advantage of for several photos. The space reminded me a bit of one of the studios I would frequent in Dayton, except covered in graffiti.   

For these sessions I used:

  • Canon 80D
  • 2 Speed lights
  • Trigger
  • 1 Light stands
  • 18-200mm lens
  • Tiny soft box

This shoot was held entirely inside. The first-floor studio had all the windows covered so was dark, while the third-floor studio had two walls full of windows so was bright. The hallways and stairwells had small ceiling lights but were mostly dark.  I used 200 ISO for about 70-percent of my images. I did use ISO 400 for the remaining images, except for a few where I was trying to capture light from a pair of light sabers. We will talk about that image later. My aperture ranged from F4 to F11 with most shots being taken at F9. My shutter speed ranged from 1/6s to 1/640s. My shutter speed seemed to be concentrated at 1/100s and 1/200s. My focal length ranged from 18mm to 50mm, with most shots being concentrated in the 18mm.

Let’s talk about light sabers for a minute, and how to get them to show up in photos.  In general, the light sabers are not very bright compared to the sun or a flash, and do not put off a ton of light to look as though they are glowing in in a photo unless you are in a very dark room.  Usually, I just add the glow during post processing, which can be a pain but I’m getting really good at making straight lines in photoshop.  However, in the case of this photo of the_engineers-cosplay as Ahsoka Tano, the studio was rather dim, thus I did my best to capture the glow in camera.  To do this and not have horrible camera shake, since I did not have a tripod with me, I cranked the ISO up to ISO 1000.  I also did not use flash for the image below, all the light is coming from the light sabers.  While this captured the image I was going for, I still had to do work in post.  First thing I did was balance the image, and adjust the exposure slightly. I then got remove some grain from the image, that is the bad part about using high ISOs.  I then went in and selected the light sabers and increase the exposure on them, then copy/pasted them onto a new layer applied gaussian blur, then changed the layer setting to lighten. I did this about three times to create the glow. I then went in and did a little dodging and burning to accentuate how the light was hitting the cosplayer’s face.   I finished by cropping the image to 8.5x11-inches.

ISO 1000, Aperture F8, Shutter 1/200, Focal Length 24mm 

I like this next image of Sara go Bragh as Elastigirl from “The Incredibles” is one of my favorites because it is outside her normal princess cosplays.  I wanted this image to be bright and lean towards high key to show off the shine in the gloves and boots. I balanced for the sky and had a speed light set slightly to my left. In post I refined the exposure. I then selected only the sky, using color range mask, then brought only the exposure of the sky down to bring out the blue. I then went in and removed the reflection of the flash in the window. I then finished the image off with a square crop and a very light vignette.

ISO 200, Aperture F9, Shutter 1/250, Focal Length 28mm 

I like this image of lorcosplay as LeeLoo from the “Fifth Element” because of its overall mood. While it is not the right out the image is slight reminiscent of some of the scenes from the movie of LeeLoo on the ledge of the building. To create this image the flash was raised up high, pointed down towards the cosplayer, and placed as close to the wall as possible. I believe the zoom on the flash was about 50mm. I then stood in the hallway so that the cosplayer, the flash, and I would form a right triangle if we were connected points viewed from above. In post I balanced the image, brightened the cosplayer’s face slightly, then darkened the left side of the image using a gradient mask. I then cropped the image and finished with my standard vignette.

ISO 200, Aperture F8, Shutter 1/100, Focal Length 20mm 

This final image is of Silk by MelPool Cosplay and Spider Gwen by lilium.syzygy. I don’t get to do a lot of group photos, most of my work is of individual cosplayers, so it is nice when I get a chance to practice posing groups. In this case I used the stairs to help posing of the cosplayers beyond a standard side by side.  I had the cosplayers sit on opposite sides of the stairs and at different heights to ensure subject balance and allow the eye to move through the image.  I light this image with one speed light, which was behind me to my right, raised up high and pointed down.  In post I balanced the image and brought the exposure up slightly. I then added a radial mask to the face of the cosplayer higher on the stairs to brighten their face and ensure it did not get lost in the shadows.  I then added gradient masks to both the left and right sides of the image to darken the walls to ensue the cosplayers were the focus.  I then cloned out a distracting light fixture at the top of the stairs. From there I cropped the image and added a strong vignette to finalize the image.

ISO 200, Aperture F9, Shutter 1/125, Focal Length 18mm 

This was a good meet up and I got a lot of nice images from it. I would like to shoot the image of Ahsoka again, because I think I can do it better. I also think I can do it with a mix of light saber light and flash to really get the image from the Mandalorianpromotional material I was inspired by. I also did some “light painting” images with the light sabers as well, but really didn’t have the time to do it correctly. At these meet ups I do not want to hog a cosplayers time, so I usually shoot fast so some of the things I could do well in full one-on-one session I can’t do as well during a meet up. You can see all my final images from the meet up here: GraffitiWarehouse Gallery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...