Skip to main content

Smoke Machine Test

ISO 100, Aperture F5, Shutter 1/15s, Focal Length 24mm

In early January I received the Smoke Genie which I kickstarted last year. The Smoke Genie is a small handheld smoke machine that is about the size of 20oz bottle of pop. I always wanted a smoke machine but a lot of the ones I have seen have been too large and can’t provide the type of control I would want.  Now I have worked with dry ice and you can’t really control that, but if I was going to invest in a smoke machine, I wanted to ensure it was controllable, met a variety of needs, and small to be able to easily store it.  The Smoke Genie met all those needs and is really designed for the small creative, not the DJ trying to make haze at the club or the big movie production team with budget to spare.   Only bad part is it doesn’t ship with batteries, so I had order batteries before I could use it.  So last weekend I finally had the batteries and a chance to test it out these are the results.

 To test the Smoke Genie, I set up a small still life set using a table, a black backdrop, a speed light with an umbrella, a light stand, a reflector, CTO gel, and some items from around the house. I went for something that could be a bit mystical and ended up with a bit of alchemist desk.  I did a variety of shots both with and without the smoke so I had a comparison. I also used two different attachments for the smoke machine, the want which allows you to precisely lay smoke and for lack of a better term the sponge which makes the smoke look a little closer to what you would get from dry ice.   Overall, I liked how the smoke hung and lingered, however the sponge attachment did make it look like dry ice smoke but it was quick to dissipate.  This could have been to the fact I was running an air purifier in the room, thus creating an air current so more testing might be needed.  I will say the smoke created from its fog juice did not have any noticeable smell, unlike the sweet-smelling smoke from the fog juice for other machines.  In conclusion I do see myself using this as a tool for some of my sessions and as away to expand my creativity.  Below are a few of the fully edited sample images.

ISO 100, Aperture F5, Shutter 1/15s, Focal Length 24mm

ISO 100, Aperture F8, Shutter 1/160s, Focal Length 24mm


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...