Skip to main content

Day 2 - To North Dakota




Today we started our journey at 0700 CST and arrived at our destination at about 1815 MNT, thus it was a long day.   The states are getting bigger now, we only covered about three states,  the rest of Wisconsin, all of Minnesota, and a good part of North Dakota.  While it was a long drive we didn’t do a whole lot.  We had a rest stop right before we got out of Wisconsin and a couple in Minnesota, those potty breaks are important.   

Our longest rest stop for the day was in Fargo, North Dakota where we had lunch at the “Space Alien Grill and Bar” and stopped at the Fargo Visitor center.  The food was typical bar and grill fare, the only a-typical things on the menu were the super sized baked potato meals and the pickle fries. Our friend Christina got the half taco baked potato and salad combo while Jim got the pickle fries.  The pickle fries were a bit odd, while we have had fried pickles before but pickle spears were a bit strange, not really the same texture as the chips.   After lunch we went over to Fargo, North Dakota to see the original wood chipper and its stunt double from the movie “Fargo”.  It is a very popular tourist stop, we got a wood chipper Christmas ornament for the tree.  After that we got back on the long road to our overnight stop in Dickenson, ND.



The road was long, straight, rather boring, and several of the exits off of I-94W stated there were no services at those exits.  We did cross the Missouri River near Bismarck, ND. However,  the only excitement on the North Dakota part of the drive was the rainstorm that we hit a little bit of and all the lighting bolts.   Just so you know the land is flat and you can see for miles.  Tomorrow we exit North Dakota and head into Montana with a brief stop at Theodore Roosevelt National Park before heading to Great Falls, Montana.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...