Skip to main content

Parachute Sunset

On August 22 I did a sunset photoshoot with the lovely Tabathaology at Oaks Quarry Park.  For this shoot I put the model in a green parachute dress,  you can learn more about the dress in my previous blog post “Parachute Dress in Studio”.

For this shoot I used:

  • Canon 80D
  • Speed Light
  • Wireless transmitter
  • Painter’s Pole extendable to 12-feet
  • Assistant (who happens to be my husband)

For this shoot,  I went with a VAL (voice activated light stand, i.e. my husband with a painter’s pole) because we were shooting on location and I wanted to make sure the light was above and pointed down at my model while being able to quickly move and adjust the light.  I also employed the model’s kids who came to the shoot.  The kids were very well behaved and acted as dress flippers to give the dress some movement.  Unlike my previous session with the parachute dress where I used an industrial fan under the dress to provide the movement.

For this shoot, I shot 147 frames at ISO 200 with an aperture of F7.1. My shutter speeds varied between 1/160s and 1/250s, with most fames taken at 1/250s which is the flash sync speed. My focal length varied from 18mm to 40mm, with a majority of the shots taken at 18mm to capture the whole scene.  Of the 147 frames I edited 80 frames, and released 44 final images.  As I do more and more photo session I have come to realize less is more and am more critical of which shots are delivered as finals so my best work is seen.

This session was a bit challenging to edit due to the changing light conditions and the mixture of light due to the sunset providing yellows and oranges and the flash providing a cleaner white light.  So, when editing I adjusted the white balance to flash, then added a bit of selective color over the model to bring out the oranges from the sunset. I also reduced the clarity and saturation slightly. Finally, I toned all the images using an orange/blue split tone combination. The orange colored the highlight and the blues went to the shadows, this popped the images and brought out the beginning of the sunset in the background.

I like several of the images from this session. The one below nicely captures the beginning of sunset with the hints of pink in the background. But what I really like about the picture is that it doesn’t look like it was shot in Ohio, it lets you easily image the picture was taken someplace else in the world.


I also like this image from the session. The clouds in the background really help give the image a sense of power.  I also like how it shows off the size of the dress, without dwarfing the model.


Overall, the set came out nice, but I would like to redo the set.  I think more can be done to show off the volume of the dress. Also, one of the straps broke towards the end of the session which I didn’t notice till the very end when getting the model out of the dress.  When reviewing the frames, I can sort of tell when the strap broke because the dress was no longer snug to the model and was starting to billow unevenly.  I have since fixed the strap and reinforced it so it won’t break again.  Thus, I want to redo the set. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...