Skip to main content

The Aerialist

On July 11th, I did a photoshoot with the lovely Vanessa in the white studio at Something OldDayton.  This shoot focused on emphasizing the beauty and poise of an aerialist using a ring and silks.  We did a very clean classic look, and white walls of the studio emphasized  the artistry and lines of each of the poses.  

For this shoot I used:

  • Canon 80D
  • 2 Phottix strobes
  • 2 Phottix rectangular soft boxes with a grid
  • 2 C-stands
  • Ladder
  • Aerialist rig (supplied by the model)
  • Aerialist ring (supplied by model)
  • Silks (supplied by model)

For this shoot, the lights were placed at a bit more than 45-degrees and a little off of 90-degrees from the center of the rig and model . We tried to keep them level with the model while ensuring the light was not casting shadows from the rig onto the models. (See photo below.) 

Set up

I shot tethered, so the husband/assistant and I could check the first few shots to make sure the lighting was good.  Also, by shooting tethered, it allowed the model to see how the poses looked and possibly adjust positioning.  I shot 107 frames at ISO 200 with an aperture of F8, and a shutter speed of 1/250s, with the flashes set just slightly above a quarter power.  I chose F8 to ensure that the whole body would remain in focus, during the movements and so I could shoot quickly.  Some of the poses cannot be held long, thus it was important to be able to shoot quickly. This is also why we dialed in the setting early and did not change them during the shoot. These setting also kept the studio a nice clean white. My focal length ranged from 18mm  to 50mm, with a majority of the shots being at 18mm.  I was the more than the social distancing distance of 6-feet which would allow for zooming, however I needed to be able to capture enough with and height at the same time depending on the pose. Of the 107 frames I edited 68 frames, and released 59 final images.

One of my favorite images from the sessions is the one below. I like it because I feel like it is a simple classic pose. The lighting is soft and highlights everything nicely. When editing this image, I did crop it down slightly to cut out the poles from the rig, and removed the rough wood beam from the top of the wall. I also did a small bit of smoothing just to even out the skin. I also reduced the reds and oranges in the image slightly. I then applied a 5-percent orange/teal tone to the image, followed by a slight vignette to finish the image. 

Below is my other favorite image from the session.  I like the pose, because it is very strong yet graceful and elegant. I also kept the rig and the beams in this photo for two reasons, 1) because they provide context to the image and help tell a more complete story and 2) by removing the rig it opens the photo up for questions loses it context. When editing this image, I kept it as bright as possible with out loosing contrast, I also applied a slight mat to the image to make it look a little softer and smoother.  


I enjoyed this shoot and tried to keep the final photos very consistent in the editing style, and tried to keep them as clean as possible.  I will say this was also a challenging shoot.  The challenge was knowing when the model was in the proper pose, and making sure the pose was caught at a good angle, as to not have missing body parts or body parts looking like they were coming from the wrong places. Finally, I had to consider, when hanging upside-down all the blood rushes to the head making the face and neck appear redder than the rest of the body. I had to make sure I minimized this during editing process.   Overall, I thing the pictures turned out well and I enjoyed shooting with the model.  I would like to do it again, but with a more interesting background and go for a more dramatic look.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...