Skip to main content

Olympic NP Vacation Day 3: To the Bridge and a Rusty Truck

Today we got up around 6:00AM and had breakfast at the lodge.  We split the logger breakfast which includes three eggs, two strips of bacon, potato cubes, and a biscuit with jelly.  It is a good size for us to split and not be hungry afterwards.   After we finished breakfast, we got in the car to drive up South Shore Road to the Pony Bridge and Enchanted Valley trail head.   On the way out we stopped to see the Big Sitka Tree, which is large in diameter while also very tall. After viewing the Sitka Tree, we continued along South Shore Road stopping at Merriman Falls and then at Bunch Falls.  It should be noted that 10 miles of the drive was on a very curvy single lane gravel road, which the Chrysler 300 handled reasonably well.  

The hike to Pony Bridge is considered a moderate 2.5-mile hike (one-way) with an elevation change of about 700ft.  We decided we were not going to do the full 13-miles (one-way) out to Enchanted Valley.  I will categorize the hike out to Pony Bridge uphill both ways.  The first part of the hike is a moderate uphill climb till you reach the plateau point and involves crossing a log bridge. Then you start the steeper downhill portion, which is partially walking in a dry rocky streambed, that eventually turned into a wet rocky streambed for portion of the trail. That section is not good for people with poor balance.  We started the hike at 10AM and arrived at the bridge at about noon, with stops for pictures.  The bridge is nothing exciting, it crosses a glacial river and has a small little water fall along the side of the river.  Since we reached the bridge about noon, we had lunch at the bridge.  Lunch was a beef ravioli MRE which also included apple sauce and instant chocolate pudding.  Jim and I split the MRE because it really is more calories than either one of us needs in a single sitting.  After lunch we started the trek back to the car.  Once we got back to the car, we headed back along South Shore Road to the bridge that would take us over to North Shore Road. 

 


North Shore Road is also very curvy single lane gravel road, which resulted in us having to back up at

one point to get to a pull out so we could let another car pass.  We took this road down to the Quinault River Ranger Station where we walked the Kestner Homestead Trail which is an easy flat 1.3-mile loop. The trail takes you past a small homestead the park is restoring to turn into a living history section. We saw a rusty tractor and rusty old Chevrolet delivery truck.  After the hike we head back to the lodge, with a quick stop at Dino’s Restaurant to pick up dinner to go.

So today we hiked a total of 6.3 miles today and had a full day outside.  Tomorrow I think we will head up to Hurricane Ridge which is 3 hours away so there will be some long-distance driving involved.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...