Skip to main content

Olympic NP Vacation Day 0: Travel in a Pandemic

View from our balcony at 7:30PM PST

Our vacation started at 3:00AM EST time when we got up to go to the Columbus Airport for our 6:45AM EST flight to Detroit.  Originally, we were scheduled to fly Columbus to LA to Seattle, which would have put us in Washington state around 1:00PM PST.  However, due to COVID-19 and Delta reducing the occupancy levels on planes our itinerary changed.  So, we flew Columbus to Detroit to LA to Settle, which put us in Washington state at 3:00 PM PST.   Once we arrived in Seattle, we had a three hour drive out to Quinault Lodge in Olympic National Park.   We didn’t check into the lodge till about 7:00PM PST and got to bed around 9:00 PM PST.  So, our travel day lasted about 18 hours, needless to say the travel day was exhausting.

A few notes about air travel in a pandemic, it is not scary it is fairly normal except for a few minor changes.  First off you must wear a mask the whole time, from the time you enter the airport till the time you get to your destination and leave the airport.  Delta at least is boarding planes back to front, that means first class boards last, which is a little disappointing since we flew first class for this trip.  Also, meal service is curtailed, and you get snack boxes and water only.  Everything is pre-packaged, and there is no pop or alcohol served.  You must wear your mask to board the aircraft and the whole flight, you can only remove it when eating and drinking.  Finally, the plane is less full, the main cabin is at 60-percent capacity and first class is at 50-percent capacity.  This means you could potentially get a whole row to yourself.   Overall, it wasn’t bad, while annoying to wear a mask that whole flight it isn’t horrible. 

As for the lodge and the park services in general the big change is wearing a mask in common area, which is basically the lobby and gift shop.  Then all the food is take-out only.  Really it is no different then at home.  

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...