Ivy Headpice

ISO 100, Aperture F8, Shutter 1/100s, Focal Length 18mm
On February 9, 2020 I worked with the lovely Vida Muerta, to shoot an ivy and red flower headpiece I made last year and never got to shoot.  This is turning into an annual thing with Vida Muerta and I shooting in late winter when it is cold out.   

For this session we shot at Oakes Quarry Park, because they still had some snow on the ground and in the trees.  I used my Canon 80D, an 18-200mm lens,  two speed lights (one as a flash the other as trigger), and one light stand. I kept the set up simple to allow for easy movement around the area.

For this session I shot 100 frames, edited 61 images, and delivered 30 final images.  All frames were shot at ISO 100, with all but 10 frames were shot at an aperture of F8.  My shutter speed ranged from 1/50s to 1/250s with most frames being shot at 1/100s.  My focal length ranged from 18mm to 50mm, with most frames being shot at 18mm. 

ISO 100, Aperture F8, Shutter 1/200s, Focal Length 32mm
I going to say this shoot was a little difficult for me, due to balancing the flash with the high diffuse sun, and reflection off the snow.  The sky was a lousy sky when we shot, with it being just a washed out blue/grey color and the way the sun was hitting the back ground it made everything look very flat. Thus, when I popped the flash it made my lovely model look like she was pasted into the image instead of an integrated part of the image. In this case I think I needed a second flash just to pop the background a little bit, since it was looking very flat.  I did try dialing back my flash but then my model looked flat, and I was losing detail in the headpiece, so that did not seem like a good option.  I might try to shoot this series again, when we head back into winter and I adjust the headpiece slightly. You can see all the images from the shoot here.


Popular Posts