Revenge of the Fifth - Cosplay Meet Up


On May 5th I hosted a meet up of the Dayton-Columbus-Cincinnati Cosplay Photoshoot group at Oaks Quarry Park in Dayton.  We had a meet up last year in this same location, which turned out well. This meet-up was Star Wars and space themed, in honor of “May the Fourth” and “Revenge of the Fifth.” The location overall is very versatile, and can lend itself to a variety of cosplays.

I worked with all 8 cosplayers in attendance, which resulted in me shooting 292 frames. Of the 292 frames I edited 176 images and delivered 128 final images. I shot the whole meet using a light from a single bare off camera speed light on a light stand. I shot with a bare speed light to compensate for the sun. I shot using ISO 100 with an aperture of F8.0.  My shutter speed varied from 1/200s to 1/800s with the most common speed being 1/400s.  Finally, my focal length varied from 18mm to 60mm, with the most common focal length being 18mm. The use of a focal length of 18mm allowed me to capture the background  which really set the tone for several of the images.

Two of my favorite images from the shoot are of Izzyquinzilla as Jedi Belle.  For those unfamiliar, Jedi Belle is a mash up Belle from “Beauty and the Beast” and Star Wars Jedi.  There are several versions of fan art of this mash up.  The reason I like this image is because the wind cooperated for once, thus giving the skirt a billow effect.



Now you can’t have a Star Wars meet up, without shooting a fight scene. Luckily, there was a Rey portrayed by Nonsense Noah and Kylo portrayed by Robert in attendance.  In the movie the fight between Rey and Kylo would have happened in the snow; I figure a barren looking quarry is close enough considering it is spring time here.     


Overall it was a good meet up, and I think the cosplayers got several good photos from the photographers in attendance.  You can see my complete set here

Comments

Popular Posts