Skip to main content

DCC Meet-up Cincinnati


On March 10th I hosted a meet up of the Dayton-Columbus-Cincinnati Cosplay Photoshoot group at Urban Artifact’s Venue space which is above the taproom in an old renovated church. The venue space we used to be the main reliquary space of the church, and the taproom would be in what was the basement area. Highly recommend visiting the Urban Artifact taproom, if you like craft beers. This was the second meet up of the year for the DCC, and we had a great turn out for the event.  

I shot 312 frames of which I edited 197 frames and delivered 139 final images. I shot the whole meet using a light from a single off camera speed light on a light stand with an umbrella. I shot using ISO 200. My aperture varied between F3.5 to F8.0 with the most common being F7.1.  My shutter speed varied greatly from 1/25s to 1/1250s with the most common speed being 1/250s.  Finally, my focal length varied from 18mm to 50mm, with the most common focal length being 18mm.  It does not surprise me that 18mm was the most common focal length since I was close to the models while still getting full length shots.

I will say we had a lot of good cosplayers at this meet up, but I was having trouble getting into shooting. I think my problem was I was still recovering from Katsucon which takes a lot out of me creatively. I usually take a minimum of one month break before shooting again after Katsucon.  In this case I was only two weeks removed from Katsucon, so wasn’t fully up to creative shooting.  So, I apologize to the cosplayer’s because the photos from this event were not what I consider my best work and I know I could do better.  You can see all the images from the shoot here.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...