Saturday, November 10, 2018

Rubber Ducks and Lolita

Back at the end of September I did a double session with Lady Chappell.  The fist session was using the rubber duck headpiece in a more editorial style compared to the pin-up style I shot earlier in September.  The second session was a Lolita session.  Both sessions were shot in studio.

The lighting set up for both sessions was the same.  A 6x5 scrim was mounted on 4 light stands and hoisted up towards the ceiling on a 35-degree angle.  The scrim edge closest to the set was about two feet away from the edge of my floor drop. A strobe was placed at each of the far corners of the scrim and pointed down through it at a slight angle, thus when fired I got very soft light.  Another light stand with a speed light was placed to the models left to add a bit of fill light.  All stands were properly sandbagged.  The basic set used a white cloth background draped down across the floor.   A two 5x7 white wood floor drops were used, and a piece of white crown molding was placed along the back edge.  This set up was used because it could be used for both sessions. (See picture to the left.)

We started with the rubber duck headpiece because that had additional set pieces, to include a 8-inch rubber duck, a tub full of clear ball pit balls, a towel, and a blue phone.  For the first session I shot 123 frames, which were edited down to 64 edited images of which 56 were delivered as finals.  My return was about 46-percent.  All the images were shot at ISO 100, at F6.3 with a shutter speed of 1/200s.  My focal length ranged from 20mm all the way to 155mm,  with the most common focal lengths being 50mm and 60mm. Because the lighting was consistent throughout the shoot all the images where edited in Lightroom the same way.  I brightened the white in the background, enhanced the light on the models face, and did a little bit of dodging and burning on the headpiece to ensure clear bubbles were showing up properly.   I also tried to use a consistent 8.5x11 or 17x11 crop ratio.  However, a few were cropped using a 1x1 ratio.

These photos are different then the first set, I did using the headpiece since these are more fashion leaning then pin-up leaning. This set also focuses more on the beauty shot showing of the headpiece.  You can see a few of my favorites below and the whole set here.




The second shoot of the Lolita shoot.  The Lolita shoot was a basic fashion shoot, and the only prop used was a chair.  For this session I shot 86 frames, which were edited down to 57 edited images of which 56 were delivered as finals.  My return was about 65-percent.  All the images were shot at ISO 100, at F6.3 with a shutter speed of 1/200s.  My focal length ranged from 32mm all the way to 70mm, with the most common focal lengths being 40mm and 50mm. The lighting was consistent throughout the shoot all the images were edited in Lightroom the same way except for one photo.  I brightened the white in the background and enhanced the light on the models face on all the photos.    In one image, due to the models expression and pose I darkened it a bit and added a vignette to give the image a more somber tone.   I also tried to use a consistent 8.5x11 or 17x11 crop ratio on all the images.

You can see my favorites below and the whole set here.    



No comments:

Post a Comment

Still Life

Now that I have a little bit of down time, I took some time to work on other types of photography outside of portrait photography.   I ...