Skip to main content

DCC Meet Ups

Recently the Dayton-Columbus-Cincinnati Cosplay Photoshoot Group had two meets relatively close together.  The first was a Halloween theme shoot at PiattsCastle in New Liberty, OH on October 21st and the second was an open themed shoot at the Oaks Quarry Park in Fairborn, OH on November 11th.  I’m going to talk about both shoots. For both shoots, I was using a Cannon 70D with two 430EX III-RT speedlight and one lightstand. For all the meet-ups I keep my equipment simple and portable. It makes moving around the location a lot easier.

The castle shoot was an early morning shoot, using the outside of Mac-o-Chee Castle. The day started out overcast and cold, but by the end of the shoot the sun came out and we had brilliant blue skies.  I had two images from the shoot, that I liked how the final edits turned out.   The first is of Bocchan as Bowsette. Bowsette is the female version of Bowser from Mario Brothers.  The second is the image is of Armand from “Interview with a Vampire” as done by Coriander.     To light these shots, the flash was positioned behind the model on a lower step and zoom to only light their upper body.  During the editing process I enhanced the lighting on the models face and slightly darkened the surroundings.  I then added a fade layer to the image with a slight vignette to finish off the image.   I think the fade to the image makes the model stand out more.


































The second shoot held at the Quarry was held during the late morning early afternoon.  I usually don’t get to shoot a lot of pairs during the meet ups, however this meet up had thee cosplay pairs.  Note, pairs are not couples, they are just characters that normally interact with one another and are in the same universe.  I have two pictures from the shoot that I like.  The first is of Bocchan as Loki and Gleume Cosplay as Thor, both from the Marvel Universe.  They had a suggestion of doing family type picture that you would get at portrait place to give to your mom. I went a long with it, and think I captured the standard mall family photo.  I did not have to do a lot of editing to the image.  It was shot with a simple speedlight in front of the models to combat the backlight from the sun.  The second group images is of Cosplaykatx and Animoo_trash as characters from Attack on Titan. For their image I went for strong stance and had them embody the solider they represent in the series. The flash was positioned in front of me, and set to be wide.  I did post process the image slightly to brighten up face of the model standing on top of the rock, and add a slight vignette.  I like the overall look of the image and the emotion it portrays.


You can see all the final images from both meet-ups here: Halloween and Quarry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...