Skip to main content

Cincinnati Cosplay Meet Up

Coffeelocks Cosplay, Angelicomics, Gleume Cosplay, Bocchan  (left to right)

On October 7th, I held the third meet up of the Dayton-Columbus-Cincinnati (DCC) Cosplay Photo Shoot Group at Rapid Run Park in Cincinnati.  I think the event numbers were effected, since this was the rain date of the original meet up that was to occur in September. We had nine people, 4 cosplayers, 3 photographers, and 2 assistants.  What was interesting was that all the people were from Dayton, no Cincinnati members came out for this event.

Rapid Run Park is nice, especially the pavilion which was rented for the event.  The nice stone pavilion provides ample opportunities to get a rustic, castle, or dark look. The only downside is the picnic tables are bolted to the ground, thus cannot be moved.  The park also has a little man-made pond/pool, which is only a couple of feet deep, but you probably don’t want to swim in it.  There are also trees and playground equipment, which I should have used for a few photos but didn’t. 

ISO 100, Focal Length, 18mm, Aperture F6.3, Shutter 1/60s
Since the group was small, I got to work with all the cosplayers and will briefly talk about two images.  I’ll start with my favorite which is Gleume Cosplay, as Lady Thor (left).  I like this picture because it is strong and the dark editing shows the serious side of the character while portraying her ready for battle.  The picture was taken inside the pavilion, with one speed light mounted on a light stand to my left.  I stood on top of a picnic table and shot down while having her look at the light.  When editing I used a dark filter to give the image a dark castle feel and  while keeping the seriousness of the image.

The second image is of Bocchan, as Sokka from the Last Air Bender (bottom).  I like this image because it is reflective and soft, even though she is portraying a warrior.  I did have trouble editing the image because it is close to fall and the leaves were taking on a more yellow hue with the light.  To compensate I reduce the amount of yellow in the image and made sure the color temperature was closer to cool side. What I really like about the image is the framing imposed by the triad of trees.  It is also one of few faraway images I have taken of a cosplayer, usually images are close-up to show costume details.


ISO 100, Focal Length, 24mm, Aperture F6.3, Shutter 1/80s

Overall it was a good event, however I do wish some of the Cincinnati people would have come out.  You can see all the images from the meet-up here.  The group is still small and does need more photographers.  I’m looking forward to the next event which will be up in West Liberty, Ohio at Piatt’s Castle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...