Trip to Acadia National Park

Stop along the Park Loop Road
ISO 400, Focal Length 20mm, Aperture F8, Shutter 1/400s
Last weekend my husband and I went up to Acadia NationalPark, in Maine, for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary. We chose Acadia because we thought there would be some fall colors and really why not go to Maine in the fall.  

The park is nice and has several pull-offs along the park loop road, however to really see the park you need to rent a bike (which the park does not do) so you can access more of the park via the carriage roads. If you don’t utilize the carriage roads, you can do the park loop road in about a day.  We did not rent a bike so only accessed trails via the parking lot trail heads.  We did a few hikes, one long hike around Jordan Pond, as short one down to Boulder Beach, and medium length one up to see Bubble Rock.  The hike around Jordan Pond was relatively easy except for the part where you had to crawl across some large rocks.  After the hike around the pond we ate at the Jordan Pond House, which is known for its popovers, I was not impressed.  I was expecting more from the popovers, by how they are raved about in the reviews, but they were just kind of bland.   Actually, most of the food we had in Maine was unimpressive, including the lobster.  The only good place we ate was at the Mexican restaurant near the Bangor Airport.  But I digress, the hike to Boulder Beach was easy once we figured out where it was located on the map.  I wanted to go there, because of the large rounded rocks about the size of bowling balls or larger that make up the beach.  It was interesting, but since the sky was overcast and cloudy, the light was not good so the pictures are not as nice as I would like.  The last hike we did was up to Bubble Rock which is a boulder precariously perched on the edge of a cliff.  The hike was moderate and definitely went up, but the view from the top of the trail was nice.  Overall, the hikes were nice, but if I went again I would definitely rent a bike, so I could see more of the park.  

From along the path around Jordan Pond
ISO 400, Focal Length 18mm, Aperture F8, Shutter 1/500s

I was not overly impressed with the photos I took because the sky was just grey, overcast, and extremely cloudy in the morning and evening due to the hurricane off the coast. We did not have any good sunrises, nor could we see the any of the night sky due to the cloud cover.  It was clear briefly in the afternoon, when there was a break in the bands of clouds from the arms of the hurricane.   I shot the whole trip using a Cannon D70 with an 18-200mm lens set to ISO 400.  My most common focal length was 18mm, my common shutter speeds were 1/200s and 1/500s, and my most common aperture was F8.   I just tend to shoot wide so that is why I tend to have a high number of photos shot at 18mm.  The reason from my shutter speeds being so high was to freeze the waves breaking along the beach and rock cliffs.  It takes several photos to get the best wave shot, so I did have a lot of shots I just discarded because they were basically duplicates.  I used a high aperture so I could get the best depth of field without having to focus stack on my landscape photos.  I did have a tripod with me, which my husband ended up using for a few of his shots. I also had filters with me, which did me absolutely no good; because, I did not have the filter holder with me.  I forgot to pack the filter holder. I used to have the filter holder always on my camera but it doesn’t work with my lens hood, so now the filter holder isn’t always on my camera.   That was a little frustrating.  

Boulder Beach
ISO 400, Focal Length 18mm, Aperture F9, Shutter 1/200s

Thunder Hole
ISO 400, Focal Length 50mm, Aperture F8, Shutter 1/320s
While going through my photos, I did find that several of the photos looked good in black and white, so I did do several conversions. (You can see all the photos here.)  The other thing I noticed was due how the sunlight was diffused through the clouds it was hard to pull definition out of the wave crests.  This was mostly noticeable with the shots taken at Thunder Hole, where the waves were mostly thick sea foam.  I found at Thunder Hole, it wasn’t the big waves that were interesting but the way the water cascaded over the rocks after the wave crashed and was going back out to sea.  

Now besides the rocky shore line, which I personally love to photograph, there were supposed to be fall colors.  Well due to climate change and the weather staying warmer longer into September there were no fall colors.  According to the past reports the time we picket to go would have been right at peak or just starting peak fall colors, this time the trees were just barely starting to turn.  I did find a tree that did change, it was a pop of red in a sea of green.   I think that was one of the reasons I was slightly disappointed with my photos, I was prepared for bright pops of color but all I had was shades of green. Don’t get me wrong the park is still beautiful in green, I was just expecting oranges, reds, yellows, and Maine’s purple leaves.

My lone red tree
ISO 400, Focal Length 185mm, Aperture F11, Shutter 1/100s














We would go again, but for longer than two days. I would also plan a little better so we could do some other activities like take a carriage ride through the park, do some biking on the carriage trails, and do a sea kayak tour. 

Comments

Popular Posts