Skip to main content

52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 7: Portrait - Faceless

I am very behind on my 52-week challenge due to Katsucon. I had 13 photo shoots during that weekend plus the random hall shots, which resulted in over 2000 photos to edit. (Note: you can see the finished photos here.)  Since I can only edit on weekends, it took me awhile to clear the que out.   Those photos are now done and posted so I can get back to working on the 52-week challenge.

Week 7 was a faceless portrait, which at first I thought was going to be hard because I was thinking standard portrait.  Then I realized there are different types of portraits, and portrait is more like class of photography with many sub-classes.  Getting this portrait was rather easy since week 7 fell during Katsucon and I had models for portraits.

This photo is of McCoy Cosplay’s interpretation of Oliviar Armstrong from “Full Metal Alchemist – Brotherhood”. The character Oliviar is a strong female character that leads armies. I believe this picture captures that even though it does not show her face.  It is of her looking out into across the water, into the distance, pondering what is ahead.   The original picture was shot between 11:00AM and noon on a very cold and windy day along the National Harbor walkway.  The sky itself was not very blue and had thin clouds.   I was using an 18- 200mm lens set at 24 mm with an aperture of f13, a shutter speed of 1/250s, and a 400 ISO.   As you can, the original image is slightly washed out and the sky has very little detail. 

Original image

To fix this did the basic adjustments of correcting for lens distortion,  adjusting white balance to day light to warm the image up, brought down the exposure and adjusted the highlights, up the clarity, vibrancy, saturation, then finally increased the contrast.  I also sharpened the image and reduced any noise to smooth the image.  I then applied a HDR filter and some vignetting.  Overall, this made the image pop.  The client did select this image and the black and white version, also shown.  Note you can see all the final images from this shoot here.

Final Image
Black & White Final

This was a good challenge for me, because it made me reconsider what makes a portrait.  I now have to catch up on 7 weeks’ worth of challenges.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...