Skip to main content

One Long Drive

Today we left Baden-Baden and traveled to Oberammergau via the Black Forest. The trip was only supposed to take five hours, but that didn't seem to happen.  When we left Baden-Baden it was slightly raining as we left the city and entered the Black Forest. Then it got very foggy and started pelting us with slushy rain drops. We attempted to see Lake Mummelsee, but all we saw was about 5 feet of it because it was so foggy and rainy. We might have walked around but it was also cold, so we just wandered around the little shop (tourist trap) and picked up a Smokey (like a SlimJim) and some liquor and a hat.  The Smokey is pretty good, but sadly I don’t think I could get them through customs or I would bring some home.  After eating in a little town along the way we rejoined the actual autobahn to travel to Oberammergau.


View from our hotel room in Oberammergau
The car’s GPS indicated it would take about four hours from our lunch location, but with traffic and construction it took a lot longer, closer to five and half hours. I was hoping the GPS would have routed us down the romantic road but it routed us through Munich which was basically going out of the way and then angling back down.   We got to the hotel around 6 PM checked in and ate dinner. Dinner was good, though the best part was the cake. (Jim got cake).  Desert was a small chocolate with sour cherry pie filling, cherry sorbet and whip cream; basically a stylized Black Forest Cake. That desert did not last long; we basically inhaled it just to ensure we each got our fair share.  But now we are tired after a long drive, which wouldn’t have been if there was no construction and the weather didn’t constantly decide to go from sunny to rain.


Stylized Black Forest Cake


Tomorrow we get to go up the highest mountain in the region and have a private tour of Linderhof Palace. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...