Skip to main content

Photos Editing from Vaction

Grand Teton Mountain Range

I have completed editing my photos from my Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park Vacation.  (You can see them on my SmugMug sight under vacation – Yellowstone) After reviewing and editing the little over 1000 photos from the trip I ended up with a little over 500 good photos which I posted.  Usually I divide my photos by city or landmark; however I did not have that option on this trip. Thus the photos were divided by Yellowstone geyser basin, Yellowstone landscapes, Grand Teton, wildlife, and Jackson Hole.  A few of the pictures in Jackson Hole are from my mom’s video camera; they look like they were painted.   At this point I’m waiting to receive the pictures my mom took with her camera.  Once I receive those I’ll add select ones  reduce any repeats. 

Based on the quality of the pictures I took, I like my Cannon Rebel T4i. It works well and appears to have decent low light capabilities. However I’m not as impressed with the Tamron 28 - 300mm lens. While it is a good lens, it does not appear to produce crisp pictures throughout its spectrum the sweat spot appears to be in the 100mm to 150mm range.  I prefer my Cannon 18 – 200mm lens.  When I go back to Yellowstone I believe I’ll take a lens in the 18 – 75mm range with me along with a 100 – 400mm lens so I can truly capture the dramatic landscapes and the wildlife. I might even consider a fisheye.

The only thing I have to do now is edit the video that was shot.  That will take a couple days. 

Grand Prismatic Hot Spring

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...