Skip to main content

Bear Cubs and a Memorial

Andean Bear Cubs
I went to the National Zoo today with my husband so I could see the bear cubs. The zoo recently had two sets of bear cubs. The sloth bear had a cub, but we did not get to see the cub and then the Andean bear had twin cubs.  The Andean bear cubs were very active and acting cute and adorable like you would expect cubs to act.



Iwo Jima Memorial
The other thing we did was go to see the Iwo Jima memorial which is located across the river from DC in Arlington.  It is about a ten minute walk from the Rosslyn or cemetery metro stop. The memorial is nice, and is pretty detailed and a little further down is a friendship tower. Now my other reason for finally going to see the memorial was, to scope out a new spot to take pictures of the 4th of July fireworks.   The fireworks are shot from between the Washington and Lincoln memorial over the reflecting pool.
Usually I photograph them from the Air Force Memorial which is less than a block from my apartment. However, many of the popular photos of the DC fireworks are shot from either the Capitol steps or the Iwo Jima memorial because you can line all the monuments on the mall up.  So I wanted to see what the view, actually looked like and if it would be worth the trip.    It is a great view of the city.  However, I would probably have to be there most of the day to get a good spot and have to deal with the crowds on the metro on the way back.  I still have plenty of time to decide where to see the fireworks; I might actually go into the city and watch them from the National Mall.

View from Iwo Jima

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review and Looking Forward to 2026

This year was a bit interesting especially since during the day, I’m a government employee, which resulted in a lot of stress and a 42-day furlough.  I didn’t attend as many cosplay events with the D.C Cosplay group, now Costume and Camera, as I normally would have, due to schedule conflicts.  However, I traveled up to Poughkeepsie, New York for two photo events, one of which I was a featured photographer.  I attended two conventions, one of which didn’t turn out as expected and the other just confirmed my decision to take a break from it.  Though happily I did a lot of studio work this year, which I enjoyed.  But on the other hand, I lost my dear “studio supervisor”, my dog Teddy.  He liked to great clients and then “supervise” while lying/sleeping in his bed. I also started to work on the business side of my photography work, by investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) site to manage bookings, schedules, and payments. No more trying to juggle...

Cyber Blue

On October 11 th , I worked with Dayvon on a cyber concept shoot. This shoot was designed around a pair of contact lens with a circuit board pattern. This inspired me to think about things like “Blade Runner”, “Tron” and cyber punk in general.    For this shoot I used: Canon 80D 2 Speed lights 2 Phottix strobes 2 Phottix Rectangular Softboxes with a grid 2 C-stands Blue gels Silver garage insulation Backdrop stand Black backdrop Connectable foam workout mats For this shoot I started out using four lights. The first two were small speed lights with blue gels attached placed on the floor aimed at the backdrop.  The backdrop was silver garage insulation, which looks like silver bubble wrap. The backdrop reflected the blue light forward providing a bit of rim light.  My main two lights were the strobes is rectangular soft boxes with grids attached. For this shoot I kept the lighting very low key, styled along that of a photo of Ryan Gosling i...

Return to the National Portrait Gallery

On February 28th, I attended the  Costume & Camera  (previously DC Cosplay Photoshoots) event at the National Portrait Gallery in DC.  I have a love/hate relationship with shooting at the National Portrait Gallery; it is a beautiful location due to its architecture, especially on the third floor, and I’m thankful that you are allowed to do portrait photography there as long as you don’t use flash.  What I get frustrated with is the varying colors of light throughout the building and the need to use natural or continuous light.  (I’m a flash girly.)  For this event, I used: Canon R6 24 - 105mm lens Neewer 12-inch LED light Assistant Camera Settings: This shoot was inside the Portrait Gallery, which has a no flash policy, thus I was using a mix of natural and continuous lighting, which affects settings. My ISO ranged from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO with the most common ISO being ISO 1000.  My aperture stayed between F4 and F5, with the most c...